The Gospel of the Bible
Salvation of sinners is all about the glory of God (Rom 11:36, Col 3:11, 2 Thess 2:14) and it is in this salvation of sinners that all the divine attributes of God are gloriously revealed.
The reconciliation of fallen sinners to a Holy God requires the infinitely powerful work of God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit (Eph 1:1-23).
The Gospel we proclaim leaves absolutely NO room for anything of man’s activities. Think about it, almost everything we hear these days requires something from man, either to begin his salvation, to secure his salvation, to keep his salvation, or even more subtly, to respond in return for his salvation. The Gospel we proclaim declares something so wonderfully different, something so fully comprehensive that it truly does live up to its name of “GOOD NEWS”.
The Lord tells us that even our most righteous works are filthy rags (Isaiah 64:6) so this Gospel is actually the ONLY possible ‘GOOD NEWS’. The Bible makes it very clear in (Gal 1:7) that there is ONLY one Gospel and that all others are actually no Gospel at all.
Below are some of the most significant characteristics of the Gospel that the Bible declares, the Gospel we proclaim here at the Shoalhaven Gospel Church, things that our gracious God has confirmed to us both through the scriptures and through our own experience, and we encourage you all to follow along, making sure that the Gospel you have experienced and entrust your immortal souls to is the same “GOOD NEWS” as this:
(1) The Gospel of the Bible is the good news of ‘Christ and Him crucified’ (1 Corinthians 2:2, Galatians 3:1), a message declaring the Person and work of God the Son which is declared throughout all the volume of the scriptures (Luke 24:27).
Then I said, “Behold, I come; in the scroll of the book it is written of Me. I delight to do Your will, O My God and Your Law is within My heart.” (Psalm 40:7-8)
(2) The Gospel we believe is the good news that the salvation of God’s chosen children has been completely secured forever by God ALONE. They have eternal life and do not come into judgment (John 5:24); they shall never perish; and no one will ever snatch them out of My hand (John10:28).
(3) This salvation involved the sovereign choice of God the Father before the world was made (Eph1:4; Romans 8:29). Having chosen a people for Himself, God the Father then entrusted those children into the hands of God the Son, our Lord Jesus Christ (John 6:37), Who committed Himself to be a faithful Substitute on their behalf for every possible requirement God’s Divine Justice could ever demand of them (2 Cor 5:21). This substitution and satisfaction of Divine Justice was then displayed in time by the appearing of our gracious Saviour 2000yrs ago Who first set about securing our eternal infinite holiness. Having been born under Law (Gal 4:4) He completely fulfilled the Law (Mt 5:17) on behalf of those who believe (Rom 10:4), establishing their everlasting righteousness (Dan 9:24). And then, on the cross, as He shed His precious life’s blood, He completely satisfied the just and infinite punishment of God for every single sin of every single one of the chosen children of God (Gal 1:4; Heb 1:3 – complete purging of Israel’s sin). This salvation of God’s people, having been completely secured in the Person and work of God the Son, our Lord Jesus Christ, is then personally applied in the lives of each of these saved sinners by God the Holy Spirit, as planned by God the Father before time (John 14:26;16:13).
(4) This salvation completely provides for every possible aspect of the saved sinner’s life. Having actually begun in eternity (2 Tim 1:9), this salvation includes every moment of the believer’s life, both before and after conversion. While conversion is the revealing of this salvation to the individual (Rom 5:11), the benefits of it have been applied to their lives even before they were born (Hosea 2:1-23, Acts 22:3; 23:25, 26- evident prior grace, Gal 1:15-16, Acts 13:48). This salvation then extends throughout their life as God works in them both to will and to do (Is 26:12; Ezek 36:27; 2 Cor 5:14; Phil 2:13, Heb 12:2) and then further continues into eternity (John 17:22; 1 Pet 1:5).
(5) There is absolutely nothing that can damage, diminish, divert or destroy this salvation (John 10:28- 29; Rom 8:31-39), not the Devil, not the world, not even our own sin, nothing, as it is all completely secure in Christ Jesus alone (1 Cor 1:30; Rom 8:34).
(6) There is absolutely nothing that can be added to this salvation as it all rests upon the infinite perfection of the Lord Jesus Christ alone and must also stand alone (Rom 11:6; Col 2:10) for all eternity.
(7) The judgment of God’s chosen children by Divine justice has already taken place at the cross of Christ (Rom 6:3-7; Col 2:11-15) and therefore it would be an abomination to attempt to subject even one of God’s precious saved children to the offence of being judged again (Prov 17:15; John 5:24; Rom 8:33; Col 1:22).
(8) Any attempt of man to please God through his own service is an insult to a Holy God (Is 64:6; Mt 7:21-23; Rom 3:10-20, 23) as the only possible standard acceptable to God is the complete and infinite holiness of God the Son (Is 53:11; Hab 1:13; Jn 17:19).
(9) The blessing of God upon His children is such that every single thing that has ever taken place in all eternity has taken place only for their good (Is 43:1-4; Rom 8:28), even our sin.
(10) The love of God for His children is such that it is infinite in both its existence and its magnitude (Jer 31:3; John 15:9; John 17:23).
(11) Because the salvation of God’s children is so complete (Col 3:11; Heb 7:25; Rev 1:8) and because it lies so securely in Christ Jesus (Col. 3:3) there is nothing else required of the child of God (John 19:30 ; Col 2:10), not his response or his obedience. Christ has taken full responsibility for him, and will produce in him and through him anything needed for the worship of God (Is 57:19; John 4:14; Heb 13:15; 1 Pet 2:9) and for the service of His people (1 Cor 12:1-31, Col 2:19).
(12) And finally, the Gospel of the Bible causes us to know (intimately) that all glory in the salvation of sinners belongs ONLY to the Lord Jesus Christ (Rev 5:9-10; 2 Thes 2:14 and 1 Pet 2:9 – “but you are a chosen generation a royal priesthood a holy nation His own special people that you proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light”). It is our praises for our Saviour’s work in us that is our Gospel witness, and even that MUST be produced in us by the Lord’s (Is 57:19).
Our eternal security depends completely upon God’s grace at every point, from before time – through the short moment of our life – and into the eternal future. It’s easy to see why keeping the Gospel pure was a priority in all the scriptures from Genesis to Revelation. Our God MUST be our all and in all, He alone MUST be the Author and Perfector of our faith and He alone MUST be all our righteousness – or we actually have NO salvation at all.
Is this the Gospel you place your eternal security in?
Is this the Gospel that moves you to glorify God?
And is this the Gospel that moves your heart to compassion for the souls of others?
If not, somehow, somewhere your eternal security lies in your own wisdom, work and or worth. PLEASE, for the sake of your own soul and for the souls of those you influence, seek truth ONLY in God’s word and seek salvation ONLY in the Lord Jesus Christ of the Bible, He has promised that all that the Father has given Him will come and those that come He will in no way cast out, so please come to Him looking ONLY at His full, free and finished work. AMEN
1 Corinthians 1:23
But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;
1 Corinthians 2:2
For I determined to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and Him crucified.
1 Corinthians 15:1-5
1Now I make known to you, brethren, the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received, in which also you stand,
2by which also you are saved, if you hold fast the word which I preached to you, unless you believed in vain.
3For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures,
4and that He was buried, and that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures,
5and that He appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve.
1 Cor 1:18-24
18For the word of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.
19For it is written,
“I WILL DESTROY THE WISDOM OF THE WISE,
AND THE CLEVERNESS OF THE CLEVER I WILL SET ASIDE.”
20Where is the wise man? Where is the scribe? Where is the debater of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?
21For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not come to know God, God was well-pleased through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe.
22For indeed Jews ask for signs and Greeks search for wisdom;
23but we preach Christ crucified, to Jews a stumbling block and to Gentiles foolishness,
24but to those who are the called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God.
11But when Christ appeared as a high priest of the good things to come, He entered through the greater and more perfect tabernacle, not made with hands, that is to say, not of this creation;
12and not through the blood of goats and calves, but through His own blood, He entered the holy place once for all, having obtained eternal redemption.
25Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself up for her,
26so that He might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word,
27that He might present to Himself the church in all her glory, having no spot or wrinkle or any such thing; but that she would be holy and blameless.
28So husbands ought also to love their own wives as their own bodies. He who loves his own wife loves himself;
29for no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as Christ also does the church,
30because we are members of His body.
3″This is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent.